Monday, May 16, 2011

42 and Graduation

I am 42 years old. My son Eli will be graduating from kindergarten in a few weeks. He will be 6 years old. I will go and proudly witness his transition to "real school" and out of early childhood. I will weep and hug and thump my chest. He is growing up so fast.

When my dad was 42 years old, he attended my graduation -- from college. I was 22 years old.

Little difference in perspective and significance, don't ya think?

But I hope he proudly witnessed my transition to "real life" and out of adolescence. I hope he wept and thumped his chest. I don't remember the hug. Our relationship at the time could best be described as a cessation of hostilities to reload.

Things are better now, and I think Eli has a lot to do with that. Grandparents relate to their grandkids differently than they did with their kids. We all know that.

I think they relate differently to their kids, too.

No comments: