Monday, November 24, 2008

The Exploited Become the Exploiting

This past week's reading from Ezekiel was extremely convicting for me as I prepared and presented the Teaching Time to Faith Community Church. The passage begins with a rebuke of the shepherds, or leaders, God had appointed over Israel. They took advantage of the very sheep they were to lead, protect and provide for. God was displeased.

But what really haunted me was the rebuke God gives to the exploited sheep. It seems they began exploiting each other in the scarce and scary circumstances created by the bad shepherds. Is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet? Must my flock feed on what you have trampled and drink what you have muddied with your feet? 'Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says to them: See, I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. Because you shove with flank and shoulder, butting all the weak sheep with your horns until you have driven them away, Lean times had made the sheep mean. When things got tough, the sheep got tough on each other, too.

I thought of all the negative "normals" in which people develop. Homes with addicted parents, abuse (verbal, physical and sexual) and so on. How tragic that many in these situations repeat the offenses they found so offensive as children. We need a Shepherd, a King, to teach us a new normal.

I thought, too, of the times I have been put upon only to turn and take it out on someone else. The traffic jam, caused by a wreck, irratates me because it slows me up. So I get aggressive in my driving. The person in the "10 items or less" isle that obviously is too self-absorbed to notice she has 100 items and is upsetting MY rights and privileges. Displaced agression that expresses itself in harsh words to my family, irratibility with my coworkers and even "kicking the dog."

We need a shepherd to teach us how to face injustice like a lamb. We need a king to teach us how to be patient in suffering. We need to know what it could mean to "suffer long and remain kind."

No comments: