Wednesday, December 03, 2008

I Come from "Good People"

They are "Good People." This is an Appalachian expression I've heard all my life. And over the past few days I have seen what it means. Two of my uncles stopped by during our mourning the passing of Grandma McCoy to show support and condolences. First my Uncle June (Oscar E. Anderson, Jr.) stopped by the funeral home. I'm sure he did so just to see me and Lisa. He doesn't really know the rest of the family very well. He was on his way to a Boy Scout council meeting. That was "Good People."

Then on the day of the funeral, my Uncle Robert paid his respects. He is my Aunt Mary (Shinn) Kennedy's husband and a good ol' boy from up Sanderson. He knows Roger well as they serve in the same district of TWC. He also shook hands and spoke in a familiar way with all Edna's children. No one else did so all day. Then I spoke briefly with him. That is definitely "Good People."

I am blessed to be among and from such "Good People." I have a rich Appalachian heritage and am truly blessed by God to belong to and with such wonderful, simple folks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was also touched by their spirit.r