Friday, May 28, 2010

Sweet Sixteen

Sixteen years ago today, I started my day standing on a wooden folding chair hanging clear Christmas lights on a tent pole with one hand and eating a Junior's cream-filled powdered donut with the other.

This morning I started my day taking out garbage and finishing some dishes I left from last night's supper.

And in between I have had the best time of my life.

You see, May 28 is the day my love became my wife. We were so young and idealistic. We were so poor. We were so in love. We decorated the church ourselves, planned the reception and I even wrote the service/sermon.

I still get weepy when I hear "How beautiful the radiant bride..." She looked beautiful -- take my breathe away beautiful. I was so nervous I could not look her in the eye. Until we laughed hysterically when the used white unity candle would not light for several long seconds.

But as wonderful as that May 28th was, this one is even sweeter. Lisa is even more beautiful today, our bond is even more strong, our love is even deeper. We have shared -- sometimes enjoying, sometimes enduring -- life together.

I so understand the sacramental view my RC family has on marriage. Even from my Protestant perspective, I can say it is a means of grace. It is the chief way God has matured my faith and improved my behavior.

She still takes my breathe walking into my view. She still is the focal point of my passion. My greatest accolade is her smiling approval. She still completes me. My greatest pleasure is her embrace. My greatest goal is to be the man she deserves.

Sweet sixteen, Lisa! I love you more!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi this is pamela short from church ,, the one with the kids ,, i tryed to add you dont know how ...