Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Come, Ye Weary, Heavy-Laden

Lent has been draining on my DW and I.

Two weeks ago, I left the pulpit feeling like a total failure. The guitar had picked up a local radio station and relayed it through the sound system. I had to disconnect. It was only me playing and singing so it was not up to par. The sermon focused on Jesus' fifth and sixth saying from the cross, "I am thirsty. It is finished." These are powerful sayings yet I felt the whole thing went flat. I literally had to fight back tears as I felt I failed in conveying the deep meaning of these words to our folks. I had failed...

This week L. left totally drained by the struggle with the nursery and the strain of constant service. She tried to share that with me, but I did not hear her clearly. I did not want to hear that she, too, was drained and discouraged.

We love our folks and each other. Sometimes the load gets heavy and the yoke gales a bit. While sitting here in writer's block, I heard Jesus singing to me, "Come ye weary, heavy-laden...if you tarry 'til you're better, you will never come at all." So, "I will arise and go to Jesus. He will embrace me in his arms. And in the arms of my dear Savior, there are 10,000 charms."

1 comment:

The Momma said...

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm so glad it's Jesus, me & you in this thing together. Love you.