Friday, February 24, 2012

Lord, Throughout These Forty Days...3

Yesterday Eli noticed that I wasn't having my usual after-school snacks. He asked why. I told him I was fasting (not eating) during the daylight hours because it is Lent.

"What is that?" he asked.

"Forty days before Easter Sunday we spend extra time thinking about Jesus and the cross and empty tomb. We say, 'No,' to ourselves and "Yes," to God. Fasting mean not eating or doing some fun thing. I have promised God I will miss my daylight meals and spend that time listening to Christian music, praying, reading the Bible and thinking about God."

"Oh..."

We both get in the Cavalier and start on our way to Upwards basketball practice.

"Dad?"

"Yes, Buddy?"

"I am not going to play my DS 'til Easter."

Tears instantly in my eyes! Then, "Really? Wow. That's a big choice. Just make sure you really want to. The Bible says it is better not to make God a promise like that than to make it and then not keep your promise."

"Okay..." "Dad...I'm sure."

The weight of fatherhood responsibility crashed down on my shoulders -- like a cross needing baring. I willing receive this bitter-sweet gift from His nail-scarred hand. The shadow of His cross marks my way forward. Following Jesus matters for my good but also for my family's good.

"O I love to wlak with Jesus...lead me anywhere He may. I will follow where He leadeth, I will pasture where He feedeth. I will follow all the way, Lord. I will follow Jesus every day."

No comments: