Thursday, February 23, 2012

Not an Imposition

Ash Wednesday, 22 FEB 2012, arrived without incident or imposition (of ashes at least.) Instead I bore marks made in powdered sugar. Icing and ink soiled my clothes, not a greasy smudge of last year's palm ashes. But the day marked me with the life of Jesus and my mortality.

You see our ladies group wrapped up a month-long cupcake fundraiser project with over 600 baked and decorated this week alone. They drafted myself and several men of the church to aide in the last big push -- yesterday. In the kitchen, Brother Lawrence style, instead of at the altar, I received the marks of Christ again.

Service, community, sacrifice, joy...all these qualities of our Savior and of His church flowed in the room like icing through a piping bag. Fresh-baked laughter and friendship perfumed the usually-stale, dank basement air. Commitment and excellence marked every package.

I missed the imposition of ashes yesterday. But I was reminded that I am only temperary. 100 years from now, I'll be dead. But what God started long ago, continued to operate in the basement of our church last night -- and will in days to come.

No comments: