Saturday, February 25, 2012

Lord, Throughout These Forty Days...4

In the Wilderness with Jesus, I am tempted to satisfy the cravings of my flesh.

I have not fasted whole meals for several years. I had a bad experience with diabetic like issues once and my wife has lovingly asked that I give up something else. I have fasted from television, pop, coffee, sweets and the like. These have all been meaningful and I have grown from the exercise.

To my shame, my experiments with traditional fasting have been utter failures. Once my roommate and I formed a fasting accountability. By the end of the second day I was renegotiating the terms of our fast.

But as I come to the Wilderness with Jesus this year, I cannot escape the fact He was not eating. He did not give up a favorite activity or beverage or foodstuff. For 40 days and 40 nights He did not eat -- anything. After he became hungry from this fast, he was tempted. The rocks started looking like little golden-brown loaves of bread.

I'm not sure what will happen. Like Peter confronted with his failure, I can only mutter "Lord, you know all things..." All my promises, all my attempts, all my willing and wishing. Only You, Lord know how this will turn out.

I am following, Lord. Please don't go to far ahead...my steps are faultering and slow...

No comments: