Friday, April 24, 2009

Ah, ---day!

Thank You God that it is Friday! Well, I'm not so sure about the Friday part (see below) but thank you God it is the last day of the school week.

I am seriously grateful for the end of this week. I have had ALC duty from Gehenna (reference to the smoldering/burning trash heap outside Jerusalem in the Henna Valley) this week. I have put down two minor revolts in class and just today I confiscated 3 phones in various stages of texting and other use. Ugh! How I miss teaching when I'm at school...

On the daily work board in my room, I post the day of the week, the date, the Related Arts (RA) schedule and the start-up work (called for some unknown reason The Sponge) for my classes. In April I started posting the day information in English and Spanish because I have several students who are studying Spanish. This week I added a German rendering of the information. One of my students, of Middle Eastern descent, adds the Arabic some days.

I am becoming morally outraged that our days are named after pagan gods. Even Sun-day and Mo[o]nday pay homage to the two main lights in the day and night sky that were once worshipped in idolatry but are just the creations of the One-True God. I do not like taking the name of false gods on my lips to distinguish one day from another. Tew's-day is Old English (OE) for Mar's-day [god-of-war-day], Woden's-day (OE) for Jupiter's-day [king-of-gods-day,] Thors-day [lightning/thunder-god's-day,] Frigg's-day (OE) for Venus-day [goddess-of-love-beauty-sex-day] and Saturn-day [father-of-king-of-gods-day.] Pt-u-ee!

Yes, I know another theory holds they were named after certain celestial bodies. But the names have idolatrous origins even when attached to planets. But these orbiting objects were said to rule those days! And the practice of using celestial bodies to plan and schedule is divination, another abominable act according to faith and Scripture.

I do like Sabbado [Sabbath] for the last day of the week (Genesis 1) and Domingo [Lord's Day] for the first day of the week (Revelation 1.10.) They obviously express a Christian world-view. I can even tolerate the German numeric Mittwoch (mid-week) for Wednesday. The Hebrew for the other days of the week simply counts them. I think this is a good alternative.

Lord's Day/First-day, Second-day, Third-day, Mid-week/Fourth-day, Fifth-day, Sixth-day and, finally, Sabbath/Seventh-day.

It REALLY is a small thing, but it REALLY does vex my soul and chap my hide...

No comments: