Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Vine

In the Roots Run Deep, I shared the back story for the post Lisa inspired the other day.

Over the past 4 years the grapes I transplanted from Grandma and Grandpa Andy's have done very well every spring. Then as they fill with lush, green leaves, something comes along and devours the greens. I have yet to see, let alone taste, a single grape from those vines that once provided the base for mouth-watering jelly.

Last fall I thought my vine experiment had come to an end. They were eaten bare to the spindly vine and no new growth came out. Life had been snuffed out though the vine couldn't stop putting on the appearance.

This evening I spotted some pinkish-purply color at the base of two of the three vines! Life had returned with the spring! I spent the evening inspecting and nurturing them. I took Eli up the hill to tell him these plants were once Grandpa Andy's and they were VERY special plants. I even had hopes that together E and I will taste the thick, sweet fruit of the vine together someday.

Tonight I had a flash of a portion of Scripture about vines. God says he planted a hedge around a transplanted vine in His vineyard. Later He says he will remove the hedge and allow wild animals to run through the tender vines.

I think I will put a fence around the vines this year and see if that helps them to flourish and be fruitful. More to come...
I'm sure there will be more to post about the Vines...

No comments: