Thursday, April 09, 2009

Maundy Thursday

Maundy Thursday is the day Jesus mandated a new Sacrament. Tonight is the anniversary of the institution of Communion, the Lord's Supper, Eucharist.

The words always haunt me, "On the night he was betrayed..."

This is the first Maundy Thursday since 2001 that I have not served the Meal of Grace on the anniversary of its inception. Tonight is also Passover. It was the Passover Seder that Jesus modified to be the sign of the New Covenant.

We are meeting with other Wesleyan believers tomorrow for a Good Friday service.

Whenever I think of the Meal of Grace I recall our wedding. As Lisa walked down the aisle in stunning beauty, I heard, "How beautiful, the Radiant Bride...how beautiful is the Body of Christ. How beautiful the hands that serve the bread and the wine...how beautiful..." We actually had the song sung to highlight the nature of the Covenant as mystery -- like the uniting of Christ and His Body, the church.

No comments: