Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Holy Week as Pattern

Holy Week refers to the period of time from Palm Sunday through Good Friday to Silent Saturday. It memorializes the last few days of Jesus life and his death. It is sacred time.


During the Lenten Luncheon in Williamson, WV, I heard two ladies share a reflection on the events of Holy Week as a model for spirituality. Later, Lisa and I adapted it for a few Maundy Thursday services. We used the same structure to lead people through prayer stations focused on the various days activities.


Today, I'm using them to scaffold my personal TAWG.


Sunday. The first day of Holy week welcomed Jesus with waving palm-fronds and shouts of "God save!" We come into an understanding of His presence among us with praise, worship and thanksgiving. "I will enter His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise," said the Psalmist. I pause to praise Him for His character and to thank Him for His previous action on my behalf.

Monday. Monday found Jesus clearing out the Temple (Mark 11.15-19.) People had cluttered the courtyard with commerce, commotion and a cacophony of noise. They were taking advantage of travelling worshippers through the sale of sacrificial animals and exchanging "unclean" currency for temple shekels. Jesus redeclares the true purpose of the place is prayer and physically removes those things that detract from prayer. We need to clear the decks of all distractions from our communion with God, too.

Tuesday. Tuesday the disciples notice that a fig tree Jesus had cursed on Monday was now withered from its roots (Mark 11.20-25.) Trees naturally wither from the branch back to the root as the moisture withdraws. Jesus takes the opportunity to teach about the importance of forgiveness. I need to weed out any bitterness or anything that hinders the productive life of the Spirit.

Wednesday. Mark reports that on this day a lady annoints Jesus with expensive oil while he attends a dinner. In order to pour the precious ointment on Jesus, the jar had to be broken. So, too, my life. If I am to honor Jesus, I must allow the precious, reserved parts of me be broken open. I cannot keep things back for myself and honor Him as He deserves. Broken and spilled out for the love of You, Jesus...

Thursday. Maundy Thursday, the day Jesus gave us a new mandate -- partake in the Meal of Grace. Here we see Jesus institute the means of grace and command us to "Do this in rememberance of me." I must attend to the means of grace: solitude, fellowship, prayer, meditation, Scripture, fasting, giving, worship, etc. These have no power in themselves, they are just the usual channels through which God transfuses new grace into my life.

Friday. The Day of Death has come. But Jesus has been predicting this day, calling his followers to imitate Him in this cross-bearing. Paul says it best, "I am crucified with Christ, I no longer live. But the life I live, I live through Him..."

Saturday. Silence. Waiting. I continue in the Presence as I wait upon the Lord. Not bargaining or pleading or working or doing. I need to be still and experiencially know that He is God...

No comments: